I Did A Thing!

     In preparation for going to the NCCE conference for 3 days (thanks admin!), I began to panic about what kind of lesson plans I could leave when we are just returning from a week long break. Not enough time for me to introduce something relevant for them to work on, but I'm not ready to have the watch a movie for three days either! (You can only watch GATTACA so many times in your life...)


    So I was inspired by something I know Rebekah Cheney and Monica Goucher do on days they are not there - video lectures! So I went in over mid-winter break and used Screencastify Lite (I will likely buy a subscription if this goes well) to record 10 minute segments introducing assignments for the students to work on in groups or individually at their own pace and posted them on Classroom, set to release each day at 8 am.

    Knowing my students, I also plan to make a daily goals and reflection sheet in the hopes of keeping them on track and self evaluating their use of class time as well. You can see an example of it here.

    I don't usually like to see myself on camera, but I enjoyed this process and felt like I was still able to be present for my students even without being present. I also LOVE the independent pacing this provides students. (Yes, I know I'm behind on the whole flipped classroom thing...) Cross your fingers that I find success!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NCCE Day 2

Worth the Wait

In this week's, I survived...