Out of Africa

Evaluating visual literacy and presentation styles and/or effectiveness is a little bit different for me as a teacher.

I am the "weird" science teacher according to my colleagues. I often get the remark, "How are you a science teacher?" due to my extrovert tendencies and involvement in the arts.

I am a rarity for sure - An academic "nerd" who digs math and science who also thrives in visual and performing arts. In my "other life", I am the co-director for the drama program at the high school and have been involved in acting, directing, scenic, costume, and prop design for the last 20+ years.

So, I have a different lens when it comes to presentation styles. I also can't escape evaluating ANY type of presentation. It is difficult for me to see a presentation and not critique the format - it can make focusing on the topic nearly impossible at times.

We were challenged to find a TEDed and evaluate it and how we could incorporate into our classrooms. For my Anatomy classes, I already have the students actually find and evaluate TED talks as part of monthly project, so I'm trying to direct this more towards my Natural Resource Biology students.

They are the classes using this new NGSS based curriculum centers on animals and we are about to wrap up a LONG unit based in Africa studying lion and elephant populations. This curriculum often uses video as the "hook" for a new phenomenom to question and study. Today, we introduced the idea of "tusklessness", a fairly recent phenomenon in elephant populations of Gorongosa National Park and throughout Africa. <-----------------You can view it to the left.

The video is good - it has all the relevant information and some graphics to introduce the phenomenon, but if I could - I would boost the emotional element. 
The start of the Africa unit was a video depicted a lion pride hunting wildebeest. They capture a calf and you spend the video cheering the calf to survive and tire with the lions and laugh at the safari goers comments (you can watch it to the right ----------->. 
It created an emotional connection that I think better serves as an engagement tool to get kids to want to know more and ask good questions. My next step is to try and find a TEDtalk with one of the Gorongosa researchers - or maybe a documentary depicting the civil war that caused the devastation in the park to create the emotional buy-in. 
We are in the early stages, so maybe the intro will be enough - I'll let you know...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NCCE Day 2

Worth the Wait

In this week's, I survived...